2053 Exterior Color
Red Interior Color
Red Leather Engine
Inline 6 Cyl, DOHC Transmission
1953 Maserati A6 GCS Spyder by Fantuzzi
s/n 2053, Engine stamped 2053
(Also included is engine no. 2067)
Red with Silver and Red Interior
The A6GCS was a very important model for Maserati and had great racing success right from its debut. Maserati won numerous races with the A6GCS, including the 1953 Mille Miglia (1st and 2nd in class, 3rd Overall), against brutal competition from the Ferrari and Mercedes factory teams. Additionally, the A6GCS had success at the Targa Florio and Pescara, as well as elsewhere in Italy, South America, and in the UK, in addition to several wins in the US.
In total 52 examples were built between 1953 and 1955, 48 with Spyder bodies and 4 cars with the `Berlinetta Pininfarina` body. All were originally delivered with a 1985cc aluminum block, overhead twin cam, twin plug engine producing approximately 170 horse power. Through the years, many of the A6GCSs used for racing saw multiple engine changes and subsequent modifications. Often, American derived power plants were used to replace expired 2.0L Maserati units.
This particular example, s/n 2053 was sold new in October of 1953 to, Ducati Motors, USA, and was believed to have been driven by Fangio for Pompeo at Thompson in December of 1953. This chassis was raced at Sebring in 1954 but did not finish. This car also competed in other regional level races including Andrews Air Force Base (8th OA), President`s Cup, Suffolk County (1st OA), and Cumberland. Drivers included McKnought, Eager, and Fritz Koster.
According to previous, long term owner Louis Casazza, in the late 1950s, this car was sold to Ben and Jim Diaz who raced the car (at that time with Chevrolet power) with the South New Jersey SCCA region at Vineland Speedway. The Dias brothers sold the car to Gus Buchmam, who sold it to Casazza in about 1965. Casazza used this example as a street car until 1968, when he stored it. Casazza sold the car in 1989 to Francis G. Mandarano. Mandarano contracted MIE Corporation to completely restore the car. Early photos of this car show it with a head faring which was removed in 2003 by Epifani Restorations. As published in Viale Ciro Menotti (Issue No. 62), this chassis was fitted with an engine stamped number 2053 during the restoration. We believe that this engine was a replica unit fabricated at that time to replace the American power plant installed when Mandarano acquired it. This A6GCS-type replica engine has been stamped to match the chassis number. Included in the sale is Maserati A6GCS engine number 2067, which has an undisputed history, and was rebuilt approximately five races weekends ago and produced 202 bhp at 7,600 rpm, with 197 ft/lbs of torque. Engine no. 2067 is complete save for one distributor.
After the restoration was completed, Mandarano sold the car to Hiroshi Kobayashi of Japan, a renowned collector of fine classic cars. The car returned to the USA in 1998 when it was sold to Dr. Julio Palmas. Although the car had seen minimal use since the restoration was finished, Dr. Palmas commissioned greatly respected Italian car restorer Nino Epifani to perfect the car to original cosmetic and mechanical specifications at great expense ($200,000+). Again the car passed through Fantasy Junction en route to the current owner who bought this example in 2005.
Today the car remains in impeccable mechanical and cosmetic condition as was demonstrated by its `Best in Class` and `Most Desirable` awards at the New Hampshire International Speedway Concourse D�Elegance. The car is detailed for show, and operates as if it just left the factory. The paint and bodywork is outstanding, and are appropriate for a car of such substantial value. The car sits on painted Borrani wire wheels with nearly new tires. The Plexiglas windscreen is unmarked. The cross-drilled trunk, door, and hood latches are all intact and beautifully restored, as are each of the Maserati emblems.
The interior is finished in flat silver paint as it would have been by Maserati. The correct fuel pumps, located next to the passenger�s seat, were located, restored and fitted at Epifani Restorations, as was the differential. The under carriage, rear stowage area, and engine bay are all beautifully detailed to show standards, and are true to original in every respect. The engine number is stamped on a pad forward of the bell housing and includes Maserati insignias. The simplistic dash is ignited by the bright teal gauges which are meant to be easy to read at high speed.
The possibilities for this car are almost endless. It is an eligible and welcome entrant in virtually every prestigious event in the world, from the Pebble Beach Concourse to the Mille Miglia as it has completed the FIA Heritage Certificate and FIVA certification process. Now accompanied by correct Maserati A6GCS engine no. 2067, the historical continuity of this package is greatly strengthened. As one of Maserati`s most historically significant and attractive sports cars, it is sure to stand out in any collection. As values for cars of this genre continue to rise, it will likely prove to be an excellent investment as well.
source . fantasyjunction.com